WELLESBOURNE and WALTON PARISH C0UNCIL

The minutes of the Council meeting on Tuesday 7th February 2017 at 7.30 pm at the Methodist Hall, Bridge Street Wellesbourne

Present: Chairman.:Cllr Mrs Prior  Councillors: Mrs Bolton, Heaton, Mrs Hurdman, Kendall, Lawley, Mrs Michael, Shepherd

Clerk: Mrs Scriven          Members of public: 8

  1. Welcome and announcements
  1. Apologies of Absence – Cllrs Mrs Bartlett, Close, Thomas
  1. Declarations of Interest

Cllr Mrs Prior declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Director.

Cllr Mrs Michael declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Director.

Cllr Kendall declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Director.

Cllr Lawley declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to Chedham’s Yard as a Trustee.

  1. Confirmation of the order of the agenda – add Wixey planning query and late email from Mr Rothwell on behalf of the Cricket Club – Agreed
  1. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session – Item 7.1 Potential insurance claim – agreed
  1. Confirmation of the minutes of the Council Meeting of 10th January 2017

Item 8 last line should read “were” not where. Item 11.1.1 should read “WWPC were “now able to” draw down the money

Accepted with amendments.

  1. Matters arising

7.1        Potential insurance claim – update Clerk – moved to confidential session

7.2     Meeting with Wellesbourne C of E School update – Cllr AP met with the school to discuss parking and lease for field access. Issues raised by the school included:

  • Lunchtime movement of 180 children from the nursery/annex to the main school
  • Hall no longer large enough to accommodate all children
  • 2 ICT suites no longer available as used as classrooms
  • Intake fixed at 60 but 70 children pending for September’s intake
  • Play area shortage
  • Pod behind the annex bought by the school to accommodate the small children at nursery
  • Talking to LEA about the difficulties faced but no progress made and not responding to requests to visit the school
  • Promise of surveyors report not fulfilled
  • No longer have a library
  • Insufficient toilets
  • As excellent track record with special needs children admissions are not controlling the numbers being sent and not always given the appropriate funding required to meet the child’s needs

Cllr AP asked the Council for support in contacting the Education Department requesting a meeting to discuss the problems faced.

Action: Write to the Education Dept. requesting a meeting By: Cllr AP
  1. Open Session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish

Mrs Cook, Church Street, footpath from Ettington Road to Lowes Lane covered in mud and debris, 3 large holes by the bench at the White Bridge require filling, and she asked if the Parking Enforcement Team could attend the village more frequently.

Mr Davis, Oxford Way asked of the Council had written to the school as detailed in the previous minutes or not.

Cllr Mrs Prior confirmed that a meeting with the school was held instead of a letter sent, which was felt to be more productive.

Miss McDonaugh, Mountford Close, said there was no reply date on the traffic survey sent out to residents of Mountford Close.

  1. County Council matters /District Council matters

Cllr Mrs Parry – report noted. The appeal for 9 Kineton Road had been refused and the Bargain Booze application had been deferred pending further information.

Cllr Kendall – said the budget top line had been agreed as a 2% raise in Council Tax and the Council continued to make cuts

  1. Planning

10.1      Decisions – none

10.1.1               Approvals with conditions – none

10.2      Withdrawals – none

10.3      Applications

1.

17/00254/TREE T1 Cherry – fell, T2 Lilac – fell. To be replaced by 4 trees –Malus and Sorbus
At 7 Holly Lodge, Wellesbourne, CV35 9RE For Mr Alan Seeds
Planning officer Assistant Planner Date 17th February

No objection made

2.

17/00165/FUL Proposed single storey rear extension, single store side extension and front porch
At 5 Mordaunt Road, Wellesbourne CV35 9QB For Mr & Mrs Robinson
Planning officer Louise Casey Date 21st February 2017

Supported as enhances the property and improves the amenity for the occupant.

Additional Item – Wixey application

The Council maintained its objection and added that the Neighbourhood Plan states “the creation of a new business park adjacent to Wellesbourne will help to promote more small businesses to set up in the area and bring more local employment” and that there is no detailed landscape plan and the Council considered the existing screening inadequate. There are no significant trees on and around the site and the existing hedgerow is patchy and offers no real screening. The installation of a large haulage firm without adequate screening would interfere with the current open green approach to the village. The Council request that a full landscaping and maintenance plan be provided for the site during the consultation period and before any decision on planning is made.

10.4      Neighbourhood Plan report – John Hargis – noted

10.5      Date of next Area Planning Meetings: 8th February and 1st March 2017

  1. Finance Committee – Cllr AS

11.1   Chairman’s update – no meeting had taken place

11.2.

Approval of monthly accounts as per attached cheque list Prop: Cllr EL       2nd: Cllr DK   carried

11.3

Approval of staff salaries Prop: Cllr DK     2nd: Cllr AS     carried

11.4   Monthly management accounts – Cllr AS had emailed the Finance Officer with some queries raised.

11.5   Date of next meeting – 21st February 2017

  1. Amenities and Highways Committee – Cllr DC/EL

12.1   Chairman’s update – Arrangements had been made with JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) Community Team to carry out clearance work at the coppice in front of Mountford sports field. Clearance of the arisings would be done by Warwickshire County Council.

The bollards by Constance Harris Close and in Chestnut Square were to be installed by the Lengthsman shortly.

Concern was expressed regarding the delay in placing the 30mph speed limit for Loxley Road – Cllr DK to follow this up.

12.2   Christmas lights – A post-Christmas meeting was held with Turnocks to review how the lighting had been and to discuss any issues arising. The possibility for additional lighting across the pharmacy to the bank was considered if funding could be raised and Turnocks were to supply a quote.

12.3   Date of next meeting 14th February 2017         

  1. WSCC Committee – Cllr AP

13.1   Chairman’s update – There had been no committee meeting but the Chairman said the Charity was now running the building which was being well used and was breaking event at present. The MUGA contract would be considered for signing at the next Extra- Ordinary meeting of full council.   A wheel was being sought for the gates at the WSCC.It was noted that membership was now over 150, and the changing rooms were now being used by the Footballers.

13.2   Date of next meeting 14th March 2017

  1. Emergency Committee – Cllr EL

14.1   Chairman’s update – Cllr Heaton, Mr Wright (resident) and Mr Banning (WCC) had arranged to walk the length of the Newbold Road brook and report back with any problems seen. During the last two wet days, the parish was on “Amber” alert and the Clerk had monitored the river levels with Cllr EL.

14.2   Date of next meeting – 14th March 2017

  1. Office & Staffing Committee – Cllr RB

15.1     Chairman’s update – There had been an overwhelming 17 applications for the vacancy of Administration Assistant and 7 had been invited to attend for interview on 8th February.

15.2     Date of next meeting – to be arranged

  1. Meeting with Walton Estate update – Cllr AP

A productive and very positive meeting had taken place between Sir Andrew Hamilton, Mr Faulkner and Miss Gaydon (Walton Estate) and Cllr Mrs Prior, Cllr Shepherd and the Clerk. It was agreed that a more open and transparent relationship between the two organisations should be fostered.

16.1     Christmas lights – It was agreed there could be a repeat or similar display of the lighting arrangements from this year for the next two years of the Christmas lighting contract.

16.2     Conservation area – The Estate representatives raised concern about the village becoming a Conservation Area as this  could have a considerable financial impact on any works carried out on Estate property. The Chairman agreed to meet with the working party and request no further action to be taken until the matter had been discussed further with the Estate.

16.3     Youth Hut/Village Hall – It was confirmed that the Estate did hold a key for the youth hut but was uncertain as to whether any asbestos was present in the building or not. The Estate were happy to permit the Council entry to the building with a specialist who could advise on the structural welfare of the building at its own risk.

The Chairman asked the Estate to consider changes to the lease for the Village Hall to permit retention of the youth hut if it were feasible to renovate and restore use of the building as a youth hub and to permit sub-letting to a charity of the Village Hall itself as the Parish Council did not have the means to run the facility itself and a charity would have access to grant funding not available to Parish Councils.

Action: Write to the Estate outlining the areas where changes to the lease were being suggested and what agreements had been reached about the Christmas lights. By: Office

The Estate invited Councillors to have a guided tour of the Estate properties – to be arranged by Sir Andrew Hamilton, and the Chairman was invited to attend the management meetings held by the Estate with any concerns or suggestions in future.

  1. Village Hall update – Cllr RB said bookings were going well but said the Village Hall Committee were concerned about the youth hut being resurrected as a youth hub as there had been problems with noise disturbance and broken windows in the past from persons visiting the site. (It was noted these problems did not necessarily refer to those with inside use of the building).
  1. Chedham’s Yard

18.1     Letter of complaint relating to parking in Church Walk for Chedham’s Yard – The Clerk confirmed the actions requested by the Council to notify the Police/Enforcement Officers at SDC of parking obstructions on the footway in Church Walk and to update Mr Hanson had been taken. 

  1. Annual Parish Meeting updateCllr AP said the speakers would be Dr Read-Jones speaking on the new Medical Centre and Dene Holloway speaking on Wellesbourne Sports and Community Centre.

There would be displays from the following grant recipients: Neighbourhood Watch, CAB, Allotment Association, Church Clock, Wellesbourne & Walton News

Additional item:

Mr Rothwell from the Cricket Club asked WWPC to draft a letter supporting works to improve the Cricket Club to be used when applying for grant funding as the landowner. It was agreed that the Council would support Mr Rothwell’s request.

Action: Letter of support to be sent to Mr Rothwell By : Clerk

 

  1. Wellesbourne and Walton News – Cllr AP

21.1     Parish Meeting

Parking restrictions

Meeting with Walton Estate

Mountford Close resident’s survey – closure date 

  1. Cllr and Clerk Exchange of Information

Cllr Heaton – the carrying on the wind of water spray from the garage car wash continues to be a problem

Cllr Bolton – street lamp outage at junction of Newbold Road/Warwick Road

Cllr Prior – First meeting of the Street Fayre Committee had taken place and the suggestion for funds raised was once again for provision of play equipment.

Action: Recommendation at next Full Council for the Street Fayre and Christmas lights switch on to be detailed as events of the Council for insurance clarity. By: Office

 

  1. Items/reports for the next meeting by 23rd February 2017
  1. Table of monthly meeting dates

 

Amenities Highways 14th February 2017
Finance 21st February 2017

 

  1. Date of next meeting 7th March 2017.

Under section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, in view of the confidential nature of the business about to be transacted, it is advisable in the public interest, as if members of the public were present during the consideration of such business, there would be disclosure to them of exempt information under paras 1 and 11 and Part 1 Schedule 12A of the said Act, that the public will be exclude

CONFIDENTIAL

7.1     Potential insurance claim – update Clerk – moved to confidential session

The Chairman confirmed details of a conference call with Aviva’s solicitor, the Chairman and the Clerk relating to a potential claim. The solicitor confirmed that the Clerk had taken extensive notes of the events and was complimentary about the professional way in which she had handled and recorded the matter. The solicitor confirmed that Aviva would make a “without prejudice settlement offer” and would be seeking recovery of costs from the users of the equipment.

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at   9.00pm.

Chairman….Cllr Mrs Prior……

Signed……………………………

Date………………………………

Completed 14th February 2017