WELLESBOURNE and WALTON PARISH C0UNCIL

The minutes of the Council meeting on Tuesday 10th January 2017 at 7.30 pm at the Wellesbourne Sports and Community Centre, Loxley Close, CV35 9RUPresent:

Chairman: Cllr Mrs Prior   Councillors:Mrs Bartlett, Mrs Bolton, Close, Heaton, Mrs Hurdman, Lawley, Mrs Michael, Shepherd

Clerk: Mrs Scriven          County/District Cllrs: 0    Members of public: 7

  1. Welcome and announcements
  1. Apologies of Absence – accepted for Cllrs Kendall, Thomas
  1. Declarations of Interest

Cllr Lawley declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to Chedham’s Yard as a Trustee

Cllr Close declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to Chedham’s Yard as a Trustee and St Peter’s Church as a Member

Cllr Mrs Prior declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Director and a pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to the Chairman’s allowance in the budget as the recipient

Cllr Mrs Michael declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to WSCC as a Director

  1. Confirmation of the order of the agenda

Item 13.1 WSCC, to be Chairman’s “update”, addition of Conservation working group and late correspondence from Hastings House Medical Centre to the agenda. Agreed.

  1. Identification of any items that might be resolved for confidential session – 7.2 Potential Litigation matter and an additional staffing matter item not on the agenda 
  1. Confirmation of the minutes of the Council Meetings

6th December Accepted with agreed amendments

Item 3 – Cllr Close declared a non pecuniary interest in matters pertaining to Chedham’s Yard as a Trustee – to be added

Item 9 last line should read “officer” not office.

Item 10.3.2 should continue Cllr DK (line out of sync)

Item 11.2.1 should read “The” terms not he.

13th December 2016

Cllr Exchange of information – Cllr CM comment should read “Cllr CM said there was a Christmas party at the Dementia Café on Wednesday 21st December between 2 and 4pm and any Cllr was welcome to drop in”

  1. Matters arising (not included in the agenda)

7.1

Response to letter to Robert Weeks relating to unused spaces on training courses From: David Dalby Democratic Services Manager Stratford District Council Action: Email to Mr Weeks thanking him for his positive response.

 

7.2             Moved to confidential session

Email relating to previous potential insurance claim Aviva Insurance

 

  1. Open Session for members of the public to raise any matters of relevance to the Parish

Mrs Cook, Church Street, asked the Council to contact WCC to express the urgency of clearer road signs on Warwick Road by Cherry Orchard and the car showroom as vehicles were still driving the wrong way on the one way system. Cllr EL said Cllr Kendall had recently confirmed the matter was in hand.

Mr Davis, Oxford Way, asked if the Jaguar Land Rover volunteers might prioritise painting of the youth shelter and asked if the Council might consider that it would be cheaper to demolish and remove the old youth club building rather than refurbishing it.

Mr Wright, Ettington Close, said the developers at the Equity House site had encroached beyond the boundary of the development onto highway land. He asked if WCC had given permission for this and if so where the Council compensated for the loss.

  1. County Council matters /District Council matters

Cllrs Mrs Parry and Cllr Kendall were unavailable – attending EAPC (East Area Planning Committee)

It was noted that a resident had raised concerns relating to flooding in the Newbold Road area and that Cllr Parry was to arrange a meeting with the County Officers to discuss the previous flood management plans and potential risks.

  1. Planning

10.1      Decisions – none

10.1.1   Approvals with conditions

  1. Noted
16/03282/FUL Two storey and first floor side extension and single storey rear extension
At 18 Waterloo Close, Wellesbourne For MR C Edgington
  1. Noted
16/03404/COUO Prior notification of change of use of existing offices (B1a) to create 42 new dwellings (C3)
At Wellesbourne House, Walton, Wellesbourne For Mr Elsenstein

10.2      Withdrawals

10.2.1   Noted

16/03599/FUL Erection of single Storey detached timber garage
At Leawood, 22 Kineton Road Wellesbourne For Mr & Mrs Woollard

10.3      Applications

1.

16/03924/ADV Retention of advert
At Land on South side of Stratford Road, Wellesbourne For Gary Platt
Planning officer Louise Casey Date 13th January 2017

The council felt the sign was necessary but asked if the very old and grubby looking sign could be replaced with a new one of the same size and format as the original.

2.

16/03500/FUL Demolition of existing medical centre and construction of 4×4 bed dwellings with associated access and parking
At Hastings House Medical Centre, Kineton Road, wellesbourne For Mr Danny O’Flanagan
Planning officer Alison Willers Date 13th January 2017

As there had been no fundamental change to this application the Council reiterated its original comment.

10.4      Neighbourhood Plan

10.4.1   Report John Hargis- noted

10.5      Airfield update – Cllr AP said that SDC had discussed the possibility of enforcement at the airfield and further

information on progress at the airfield site would be eagerly awaited.

10.6

Consultation document – Mineral Local Plan Warwickshire County Council Noted

10.7      Correspondence – none

Cllr VB asked what progress had been made with the Whiteroom business signage on Kineton Road. The Clerk had spoken to SDC Planning Enforcement who had looked at the position and style of the sign (within the grounds of the business not on the highway) and judged it to be acceptable without further planning approval necessary – no further action.

10.8      Date of next Area Planning Meetings: 10th January 2017

  1. Finance Committee – Cllr AS

11.1   Chairman’s report – noted.

11.1.1   Public Works Loan Board application update – loan approval confirmation had been received, WWPC are now to draw down the funding and accept the contract at an Extra Ordinary meeting of Council to proceed with the MUGA. (Multi Use Games Area) Cllr AP said that the Council had been commended for the survey and how it had been carried out. Cllr DC said the Council should be congratulated on its leap of faith resulting in funding of an all-weather pitch for the community.

11.2   Precept

Recommendation that the parish precept for 2017/18 be accepted at £221,700 (plus tax grant from SDC) Prop: Cllr AS   2nd Cllr BH carried (Cllr for: AS, AP, RB, DC, EL, BH, CM, FH, Cllr against VB)

11.3

Approval of monthly accounts as per attached cheque list Prop Cllr BH, 2nd Cllr RB carried

Cllr VB queried the payment for the WSCC rates. The Clerk confirmed until the lease was finalised, WWPC were still liable for the utilities and Council tax and any payments made following exchange of the lease would be billed directly to the Trust.

11.4

Approval of staff salaries Prop Cllr EL, 2nd Cllr BH carried

11.5   Monthly management accounts – noted

11.5   Date of next meeting – 21st February 2017

  1. Amenities and Highways Committee – Cllr DC/EL

12.1   Chairman’s report – noted. Cllr DC said the pollution on Bridge Street continued and attempts to view the drainage area With cameras had been thwarted by a blockage in the pipe. The next step will involve high pressure hosing followed by a further attempt to view the area with specialised camera equipment. Problems with misuse of the disabled parking bay outside the chemist continued and WCC had confirmed they no longer spray on the “disabled” logo. It was understood that several enforcement tickets had been issued.

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) had offered to carry out community works in the village and a meeting had been arranged to meet a representative to discuss the sort of work the volunteers could do.

12.2   Dog Day 2017 (spring offensive against dog fouling) – Cllrs DC/CM. Cllrs agreed this was a positive event celebrating responsible dog ownership and highlighting the small percentage of poor dog ownership in the village. Part of the initiative would involve highlighting fouling to raise awareness of this antisocial behaviour. It was agreed the Dog Warden should be invited.

ACTION: Dog Day 2017 event – invitation to be sent to the Dog Warden By: Cllr CM

 

12.3   Christmas lights

12.3.1         Letter from Methodist Hall – Cllr EL/DC – A letter of appreciation for provision of such attractive Christmas lighting had been received from the Methodist Hall. The Council had received many positive comments from the businesses at the precinct and Bridge Street, and noted that the switch on event had been very well attended. The Council were pleased with the quality of the lighting and the efficiency in which the supply company dealt with any outages during the holiday period. A post event meeting with the supplier was to be arranged.

12.4   Date of next meeting 14th February 2017         

  1. WSCC Committee – Cllr AP

13.1   Chairman’s update – There was not report as no meeting had taken place. The preview day had been well attended and there had been many positive comments about the facility. The gym already had 73 paid members and bookings for inductions and classes had begun. The installation of the Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) was anticipated at the beginning of March with a 12 week build period and it was anticipated that completion of the facility would be delivered within the expected costs.

The facility was being run by a full time Manager, a f/t Deputy Manager and one casual staff member. Currently the Trust were advertising for a third member of staff to cover demand, and were in the process of setting up classes which could be included into membership or used on a pay-as-you-go basis. Groups were also now making enquiries relating to room hire and the local Guides group were already booked in for their next meeting. Cllr AP said although the Trust would be taking over shortly, it would still report back to the Council monthly.

13.2   Date of next meeting 24th January 2017

  1. Emergency Committee – Cllr EL

14.1   Chairman’s update – The Emergency Plan had been updated and Cllrs had received a copy for their policy folders.

Following concerns raised by a member of public, it was confirmed that clearance of the culvert area on Newbold Road had been carried out and WCC had been asked to check that the water course was being checked and walked as agreed following the last flooding in the area. A new booklet had been launched “Citizen Aid” giving useful advice of what to do in the event of a terrorist attack or dangerous event where the emergency services could not reach you. It was suggested that copies be obtained.

14.2   Date of next meeting – March 2017

ACTION: Contact Citizen Aid producers for cost/availability By Office

 

Conservation Working Group – Cllr EL – Mr John Hargis had revised the final draft of the booklet and it was agreed to send it to SDC for any final amendment or input enlisting the assistance of District Cllr Mrs Parry.

  1. Office & Staffing Committee – Cllr RB

15.1     Chairman’s update – Cllrs were supplied with a copy of the advert for the pending Administration Assistant vacancy which it had been agreed would be posted in the Stratford Herald and Midweek papers. It was agreed to place the advert on the Council website and Facebook page as well as displayed on the Council notice boards. Interviews would commence in February.

15.2

Recommendation that the Office and Staffing Committee be tasked with the appointment of an Administrative Assistant to succeed Mrs Lipman Prop Cllr RB, 2nd Cllr AP carried

15.3      Date of next meeting – to be arranged 

  1. Youth Services meeting update Cllr AP – A number of organisations attended the meeting but each wanted their own space. The question of salvaging the old youth hut building arose and the Scout Group said they had funding for such a building and queried the possibility of building a stilted hut on the Newbold Road ground near to the infant school. It was agreed that WWPC could act as the facilitator of the meetings with youth groups to enable them to work together to a satisfactory end. Discussion took place about the possibility of asbestos in the old youth hut, this was something that had not been ascertained and specialists would have to assess the building for safety prior to any renovation plans. It was noted that certain youth groups did not want to share facilities and sought exclusive use of a room elsewhere. 
  1. Chedham’s Yard

Chedham’s Yard were advertising for a learning officer to encourage young people and youth groups to the yard.

On 30th December the Trust held a “Volunteers Dinner” event at the Bowls Club, to thank the many volunteers for their time and hard work through the open season. Cllr DC reminded the Council that there was still no Council Trustee appointed to the Trust.

The Christmas event at Chedham’s Yard was most successful with over 100 visitors. Volunteers sang carols to the accordion and the Yard took a record amount of sales.

17.1     Correspondence – Cllrs EL/DC

Letter of complaint relating to parking in Church Walk for Chedham’s Yard Mr Hanson

It was noted that the Chairman of the Trust had responded to Mr Hanson reiterating the measures taken by the Trust to minimise disruption to residents, but also pointed out that the Trust had no authority to prevent persons parking on public highways.

ACTION: Contact Police and Parking Enforcement and say parking on Church Walk is hazardous to pedestrians. Inform Mr Hanson of actions taken By: Office

 

  1. Annual Parish Meeting (arrangements) – Cllr AP

Speakers: Manager from WSCC, Dr Reid-Jones re Medical Centre – Cllr AP to contact

Previous grant holders to give display – Office to contact

  1. Wellesbourne and Walton News – Cllr AP

19.1   Contents of Chairman’s report – Cllr AP

Parish Meeting; WSCC; Precept; Wellesbourne Wanderers – Christmas/Hospital Incentive 

  1. Cllr and Clerk Exchange of Information

Cllr RB asked when the calendar of meetings would be available

Cllr AP said that the Lions Group would be holding a meeting on 11th January to discuss the plans for the Car Festival.

Wellesbourne Festival would be a celebration of biking and walking organised by Mr David Johnston.

Wellesbourne Wanderers had held a fund raising event to raise money to purchase gifts for children in hospital over the festive holidays, and also for the under privileged via the Salvation Army. The Council agreed this was a worthy initiative

Action: Contact Wellesbourne Wanderers congratulating them on their generous and thoughtful initiative By: Cllr AP

 

  1. Items/reports for the next meeting by 26th January 2017
  1. Table of monthly meeting dates
Full Council 7th February 2017
Amenities & Highways 14th February 2017
  1. Date of next meeting 7th February 2017

Under section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, in view of the confidential nature of the business about to be transacted, it is advisable in the public interest, as if members of the public were present during the consideration of such business, there would be disclosure to them of exempt information under paras 1 and 11 and Part 1 Schedule 12A of the said Act, that the public will be excluded

CONFIDENTIAL

7.2             Moved to confidential session

Email relating to previous potential insurance claim Aviva Insurance

The Clerk explained the circumstances of the claim for the benefit of Cllrs who were not elected at the time the original claim was made in 2011. She explained that Aviva the underwriters had received a new claim and that a new solicitor was reviewing the case. The Clerk had asserted to Aviva that the Parish Council had been found not to be negligent in two previous attempts to claim and that comprehensive records including a witness statement had been taken at the time. It was noted that WWPC would not take part in any decision to settle the claim or not, this responsibility falls to the underwriter. The Clerk would be meeting the Council insurance broker tomorrow to discuss the matter further and would request their input and advice on the new claim.

Potential libel claim – Cllr VB asked what had been the outcome of this matter at the Office and Staffing Committee. Cllr RB explained this was not a matter for discussion at the committee but as the Council had a legal responsibility to its employees the Council had sought and followed advice from WALC in case the matter should proceed to a claim.                            Cllr VB said that the matter had been resolved between her and the employee but not with the Council. Cllr AP confirmed the actions taken were in accordance with the rules for Parish Councils and that if Cllr VB wished to take up the matter with individual Councillors then she could do so outside of a convened meeting.

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting closed at 9.50pm

Chairman…Cllr Mrs Prior…

Signed………………………

Date…………………………

Completed 17th January 2017